• rice-facts-and-figures-iconphilrice-machines-iconreading-materials-iconlearning-modules-iconebooks-icontechnology-videos-iconaudio-clips-iconlst-primers-iconphoto-gallery-icongames-iconmap-iconinfo-on-demand-iconproducts-icondirectories-icon

Rice Facts and Figures

QUESTION ANSWER
Has palay production in the Philippines increased over the years? Yes. Palay Production in the Philippines has tripled from 5.32 million tons in 1970 to a peak of 16.82 million tons in 2008. However, a couple of strong typhoons caused a decline in palay production in 2010 to 15.77 million metric tons (MMT). In 2011, production rose to 16.68 MMT, a remarkable improvement over 2010 but still below the 2008 production level.
Has rice production increased? From 1990 to 2010, production of milled rice has increased from 6.095 MMT to 10.315 MMT (based on 65% milling recovery).
What is the growth rate of palay and rice production? Both paddy and milled rice production grew annually by 3.25%.
How much have irrigated and rainfed areas contributed in terms of palay production? From 2000 to 2010, 73% or 314,115 MT of the production increase came from irrigated areas; 27% or 113,815 MT came from non-irrigated areas.
What percent of the production growth comes from irrigated areas? 73% of the production increase comes from irrigated area while the remaining 27% comes from rainfed lowland areas. These offset the decrease in production in rainfed upland area, which is declining by around 8000 tons per year since 2000.73% of the production increase comes from irrigated area while the remaining 27% comes from rainfed lowland areas. These offset the decrease in production in rainfed upland area, which is declining by around 8000 tons per year since 2000.
At what time of the year is the growth rate higher in terms of rice production? In 2000-2010, the growth in production is higher during July-December which contributes 56% of the overall growth. The growth in production during January-June contributes the remaining 44%.